Infections can occur very quickly and can be very dangerous, especially for older adults. Seniors tend to have immune systems that are lower and not as effective as those of younger people, which leaves them more vulnerable to infections and makes it more difficult for them to fight them off if they do contract them. Even seemingly minor injuries can develop an infection, which can then develop into sepsis, a potentially deadly response of the body to an infection that can strike within days of an injury.
If your parent suffers an injury, use these tips to help prevent infection:
• Wash your hands carefully before addressing the injury
• Look around the space where your parent was injured to identify any increased dangers, such as rust, glass, or contamination so you can bring them to the attention of the doctor if your parent needs further care
• Wash the area around the injury, but avoid washing the injury itself
• If there is any debris or foreign matter in the injury, do not attempt to remove it. Cover lightly and get your parent to a medical center for further attention
• Treat minor injuries with an antibiotic ointment if recommended by your parent’s doctor and cover with a sterile bandage
• Keep the area dry and clean, replacing the bandage daily or more frequently as needed
• Pay close attention to the area for signs of infection, which can include redness, swelling, drainage, and heat
• If you notice any signs of infection, get your parent to a doctor promptly
Can elderly care help?
Being a family caregiver for an elderly adult is challenging, and you may encounter times when you feel that you are not fulfilling all of your senior’s needs, or that they would benefit from additional support and care. Whether this is because you live at a distance or have a schedule that is so busy that you feel you are not able to be with your parent as often as you would like to be, or you have challenges and limitations that keep you from handling all of their care needs as efficiently as they need, this can leave you feeling stressed and like you are not giving your parent what they deserve.
Fortunately, elder care can help. An elderly home care services provider can step in to fill any care gaps that might exist and offer your parent support, care, and assistance specifically tailored to your parent’s individual challenges and needs so that they can stay healthy, happy, comfortable, and safe while pursuing as much independence as possible. This not only improves their quality of life but also eases your stress and enables you to focus your time and energy on them in the best way possible.
If you or a family member are in need of hiring elderly care in Fort Lauderdale, FL, call the caring professionals at Star Multi Care today at (954) 870-4770.
Providing service in Boca Raton, West Palm Beach, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, Weston, Southwest Ranches, Pembroke Pines, Cooper City, Lighthouse Point, and Wilton Manors.