October 12 is World Arthritis Day.
It is very important to recognize the risk of this serious health issue and to take the steps necessary to protect your parent. As a family caregiver, educating yourself about the risks your senior faces enables you to better develop your care approach, choose your care network, and support your parent in living their highest quality of life possible as they age in place.
Some things you should know about arthritis include:
- Arthritis is the leading cause of disability among adults throughout the United States.
- Approximately 54 million people throughout the United States have received a diagnosis of arthritis from a doctor.
- This number is expected to increase to well over 70 million people by the year 2040.
- Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis.
- Approximately 31 million adults throughout the United States are currently living with osteoarthritis.
- 26 percent of women in the United States have received a diagnosis of arthritis from a doctor.
- 18 percent of women in the United States have received a diagnosis of arthritis from a doctor.
- Nearly half of those adults who are living with heart disease are also living with arthritis.
- Approximately 47 percent of those who are living with diabetes are also living with arthritis.
- 31 percent of those adults who are considered obese have received a diagnosis of arthritis from a doctor.
- Arthritis can have as much of a negative impact on emotions as it does on physical functioning and well-being.
It isn’t always easy to ask for help.
This can be particularly true when it is asking for help caring for your aging loved one. As a family caregiver, you want to do what is best for your parent, and want to make sure they have everything they need to stay healthy, safe, and comfortable. It is easy to feel like you should take this all on yourself, and that the only way to make sure it is done properly is to do everything on your own. This, however, can be a detrimental way to think. When you do this, you cause yourself a tremendous amount of stress, which can risk your health and well-being. Instead, give yourself, and your aging parent, the gift of home care.
Having an in-home senior care service provider take on care tasks for your parent relieves your stress and allows you to focus more energy and attention on other aspects of your life, while still feeling confident your senior is getting all of the care, support, and assistance they need.
If you or a family member are in need of Home Care Services in Hallandale, FL, call the caring professionals at Star Multi Care today at (954) 870-4770.
Providing service in Boca Raton, West Palm Beach, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, Weston, Southwest Ranches, Pembroke Pines, Cooper City, Lighthouse Point, and Wilton Manors.