Approximately 10 percent of the total adult population of the United States is currently living with a condition known as Restless Leg Syndrome. RLS for short, this condition impacts the nervous system and can have a tremendous influence on your parent’s quality of life, health, and well-being. Approximately 40 percent of people who suffer from RLS report that their symptoms are severe enough that they negatively impact their quality of life and functioning. As a family caregiver, being able to recognize the signs and symptoms of RLS can help you to ensure that your elderly parent gets the care, treatment, and management that they need to control this condition and protect their health as they age in place.
Some of the signs and symptoms of RLS include:
- Sensations that are described as-
- Strange sensations and the urge to move the legs that starts after your parent has been at rest, such as sitting for a long time or lying down to go to sleep. While this generally happens at night, it can occur any time that your parent is lying down or sitting for an extended period.
- The feeling that the sensations are relieved by moving their legs. This movement can be kicking, shaking, walking, or stretching.
- Symptoms that get worse as the evening approaches, particularly when your parent is tired.
- Twitching or involuntary movements that occur at night when your parent is trying to sleep. This can be an indication of another condition known as periodic limb movement of sleep, or PLMS. Up to 80 percent of people who are diagnosed with RLS will also be diagnosed with PLMS.
The symptoms of RLS are often misconstrued as being caused by stress, nervousness, anxiety, depression, insomnia, or cramps. If your parent has been experiencing these symptoms frequently, do not hesitate to get in touch with their doctor to discuss them so that your parent can go in for a thorough examination. This will help them to get a diagnosis that can lead to the course of treatment and management that is right for their needs.
If your aging parent has recently been diagnosed with a medical condition or health complication such as Restless Leg Syndrome, or they are showing new or worsened symptoms or challenges, now may be the ideal time for you to consider starting elder care for them. Hiring an elderly home care services provider is a way for you to ensure that your parent is getting everything that they need, filling any care gaps that might exist in the care efforts that you give them and providing a highly personalized set of services tailored to them as an individual. This care provider can help your parent to manage their individual needs, assisting them in fulfilling their activities of daily living, providing safe and reliable transportation when needed, and offering companionship and support that encourages them to stay active, engaged, and independent, and to see as much meaning in this new chapter of life as possible.
If you or a family member are in need of elder care in Hallandale, FL, call the caring professionals at Star Multi Care today at (954) 870-4770. Providing service in Boca Raton, West Palm Beach, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, Weston, Southwest Ranches, Pembroke Pines, Cooper City, Lighthouse Point, and Wilton Manors.