There are numerous things that can cause anxiety or anxious reactions. If you are a family caregiver for your elderly loved one, it may be best to work with in-home care providers to help your loved one manage their anxiety. Not sure if they even have anxiety or if that is what is going on? Don’t worry. There are ways to recognize anxiety. If you do recognize it, then, there are also tips for helping your elderly loved one to manage this health issue, as well.
Being Able to Recognize Anxiety
As just noted, there are different ways to recognize when a senior citizen has anxiety. Some of the most common signs of this health issue include:
- Difficulty handling anxious thoughts and feelings
- Worrying a lot about different activities or events
- Feeling restless on a regular basis
- Feeling on edge or keyed up
- Getting tired very easily
- Difficulty concentrating
- Increase muscle tightness
- Difficulty sleeping (too much or too little)
Do you or an in-home care provider recognize these signs in your elderly loved one? If so, they could have general anxiety or an anxiety disorder. If this is the case, you should encourage them to follow through with the tips below.
There are so many different ways that a senior can manage their anxiety. The same techniques don’t work for everyone either. If your elderly loved one has anxiety, you and their in-home care providers should encourage them to try out the following tips:
- Keeping a journal
- Doing crossword puzzles
- Taking a nap
- Talking to a friend
- Participating in one of their hobbies
- Avoid making big life decisions until the anxiety subsides
- Eating healthy
- Socializing with supportive friends and family members
- Take a long, hot shower
- Put on some makeup
- Go for a walk
- Go buy a new outfit
- Write down three things that they love about their life
- Find ways to express their feelings out loud, so they can get them off their chest
These are some of the best ways to relieve anxiety. If your elderly loved one isn’t sure what they should be doing at any given time, you or an in-home care provider can help them out. It may take sitting with your elderly loved one and helping them follow through with the techniques noted here today.
Hiring In-Home Care Providers to Help
Now you know how to recognize anxiety in your elderly loved one. If you or an in-home care provider to notice the signs that were talked about above, don’t let them handle it all alone. Dealing with anxiety is tough and your elderly loved one may not feel they can do it by themselves and they shouldn’t have to. Once you know they are struggling with anxiety, you should help them to follow through with at least some of the tips noted above. Hopefully, these techniques can help to subside their anxiety.
If you or a family member need to hire In-Home Care Services in Deerfield Beach FL, call the caring professionals at Star Multi Care today at (954) 870-4770. Providing service in Boca Raton, Boynton Beach, Coconut Creek, Deerfield Beach, Delray Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Lauderhill, Margate, Pompano Beach, and Tamarac.
- Family Caregivers Tips For A Senior With Alzheimer’s - June 27, 2022
- Hire Skilled Nurses to Help With Wound Care - June 20, 2022
- Everything Your Family Needs to Know About In-Home Care - June 14, 2022